There are many cries these days about our rights. Some say that every person has a right to free health care. Some of these same people have been saying for years that every woman has a right over her own body, and that she has a right to choose whether she wants an abortion or not. Well, this is a topic that we all would do well to seek God’s will on—to seek the Scriptures. With some help from an internet source (listed below), I have come up with the following biblical directives.
According to The Bible, What Rights Do We as Humans Have?
1.Since we all are created in God’s image (Gen. 1:27), we have a certain dignity, and thus, we have a right to be treated with dignity.
2.God has said to us that we should not murder (Gen. 7:6), that we should treat everyone humanely. Thus, all humans have a right to be treated humanely, especially a right not to be murdered.
3. The Ten Commandments gives prohibitions against murder, theft, coveting, adultery, and bearing false witness. Thus, we have a right not to be wrongly treated with any of these violations.
4. Immigrants have a right to be treated well (Exod. 22:21).
5. The poor have a right to be treated well (Prov. 14:31).
6. We all have a right not to be discriminated against in any way (Gal. 3:28; Col. 3:11; Ja. 2:1-4).
According to the Bible, What Rights Do We Not Have?
1. I do not have a right to sin against my own body, especially as a Christian, since my body is the Lord’s (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
2. No person has a right to sin against another person because he is a creation of God (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
According to the Bible, What Are a Woman’s Rights?
1. A woman has a right to be treated as a woman the way God designed her (Gen. 2:18; 1 Pt. 3:7).
2. A woman does not have a right to go against her natural, God given sexual desires (Rom. 1:26). This is also true for a man.
3. A woman has the right to protect her own baby inside of her, but she does not have a right to force her babies death, because God forms the baby inside of her and because the baby, in whatever stage of grows he or she is in, is a creation of God (Ps. 139:13).
4. A woman has a right to be treated well just as a man has a right to be treated well, because she is created in His image (Gen. 1:26).